Sunday, October 12, 2008

Round 2 almost complete

Thursday we saw Dr. Goldsweig before we entered the chemo room. He told Troy that he should be very proud of himself due to how well he was doing. The fact that his weight was up and he was strong mentally and physically were all good signs. The doctor hasn't decided whether there will be a 3rd round or not at this point. We will have to have Dr. Riley check Troy out first. He has an appointment with him on the 28th. Troy had a bad night last night and we had to call after hours in order to get instructions for medications. He was very nauseated to the point of nearly vomiting. He still held back from doing so. He's feeling better this morning and he gets his pump off tomorrow afternoon. He may be heading to radiation soon if he doesn't get the 3rd round of chemo. We just have to wait for the doctor's orders. Speaking of the doctor, Dr. Goldsweig reads our blog so he told us that he's very careful with what he tells us because he knows it will be published! Hi Dr. G! This is a good opportunity for me to say nice things about him. He bought us lunch at Troy's first round of chemo (in fact he bought it for all the patients and staff in the chemo room that day). Thank you very much for that nice gesture and thank you for making Troy hate Steak 'n Shake now (I guess the meal you have during chemo, is generally the one you end up detesting for the rest of your life). That is one place on my list of not-so-favorites that Troy used to enjoy. I wish you would have brought in Waffle House take-out on this past round! But seriously, our apprehension and cynicism that we had in the beginning of this process has been lifted. We didn't know where to go or what to do when we were hit with Troy's diagnosis. Dr. Riley, who is very fatherly and fairly low key and we really liked and respected led us into the direction of Dr. Goldsweig. We met with him the following day at his office and he was high speed and quite the opposite of Dr. Riley. We weren't sure what to make of anything at that point and questioned everything. Dr. Goldsweig has brought us a lot of comfort and answered a lot of our questions over the past couple of months. He obtained a 2nd opinion from the Mayo Clinic on his own and called another doctor while we were at his office in order to confirm that his treatment route was the one to take. I'm sure he has done other things behind the scenes that we don't even know about. He and his staff are always cheerful despite what they deal with day in and day out and this rubs off well on the patients who are less than cheerful. We are in a great place and we just wanted to take this opportunity to thank him and his staff for taking care of Troy so well. As I said, Troy is heading back to his office tomorrow to have his pump removed and have his blood tested. We will catch up with you then.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you Terry for the update on Troy. I have been keeping up on the blog even though I talk with Mom everyday. Mike LaCroix was asking about you all again, I saw him yesterday. It was really nice to talk with you the other day, I wish we talked more. I know you have lots to do and so do I. All of Troy's Doctor's sound like Angels in disguise, I would like to thank them all as well for taking care of my Brother. I pray for the Doctor's and their families also! I miss and love you and hope to get to see you soon. Love, Toni

Anonymous said...

You all made it thru another bad day yesterday but today is a new day. You will get thru today, the full moon is tonight so after that I bet things will be on the up side. I am not there to give you all hugs and I wish I was. Know that I am thinking positive thoughts for you and keep your chins up because staying positive is half the battle. I love you all, T