Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Mon Tues Wed - A few bad days

Monday Troy got his chemo bag taken off. He's had a hard few days since Saturday. He tested fine on Monday and didn't need to get hydrated but he was feeling queasy, weak, and pretty much horrible. He developed thrush and had to get another drug added to his arsenal of medications. The Physician's Assistant, Brandon, added another nausea drug as well. You need to be a megaphysicist in order to stay on top of drugs for an oncology patient. There have been a couple of drug blunders along the way where we have one more or one less pill than we should have of something. Tuesday Troy went back to get his $6000 Neulasta shot which puts his white blood cell count back in order. He continued to be feeling crappy - literally. He started having a pretty good case of diarrhea around 5:00 and it continued to the point that I had to call the doctor's office at 3 in the morning and then run out and pick him up Imodium right after the call. Troy will love that I'm letting you all know about his bowel movements! It's a good thing that he doesn't ever look at the blog. I do read the comments you post to him and thank you for all your nice remarks. I'm sorry that I don't get a chance to write to you all personally. I have so many of you on my mind to get in touch with, but running the house has taken up so much of my time. I will catch up with you when we get through this battle. Anyway, today was another day where Troy spent all day resting and trying to feel better. He is actually sitting next to me in the kitchen right now trying to eat a cheeseburger and can only get a quarter of the way through it. The doctor's office called this morning to have him come in for fluids because of his rough night. His mom took him there while I picked up his Aunt Connie (Donna's sister) at the airport. She came down to help us from Virginia for a week. Donna leaves on Saturday and comes back down with Ang on the 29th. My friend, Samantha, is also coming for a few days on the 29th. Derek got picked up from school today by our neighbor, Marian, (thanks, Marian!) and stayed there playing with Sam and Josh until we got back. Ryan went to the airport with me and I chased him around from one thing to another. It's been a busy day and I'm tired. Hopefully I will have some good news to report soon. Troy is really being tested right now. His physical and mental strength and his faith are all being beaten down. We just keep cheering him on and praying things will get easier for him... and they will eventually. Thanks for keeping us in your thoughts and prayers. Oh, and thank you to Susan Ouellette, our realtor, who sent over her boys, Matt & Josh, to do lawn work for us today. And also to all the people involved at St. Catherine's of Siena church who have brought us over meals (or organized them). These gestures of kindness mean so much to us and make our lives so much easier right now.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Terry,

Just wanted you guys to know that I have been reading the blog regularly and am thinking of you guys. Not sure what to say other than my thoughts are with you and I am confident Troy can beat it. Great thing about a small town is the connection to the people that you grew up with and I know that everyone from Whitehall is cheering for Troy and confident in his strength to fight this disease.

Mark Bleibtrey

Mimi said...

Any time you want to leave the kids with me is fine.

I felt bad that my boys were so "active" Derrek just looked like he wanted to go to sleep! But he and Sam did play a bit before Josh came home!

Sam loved the play so any time is fine!